Rutebook and a lot more

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Aug 28 22:11:56 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/28/2008 01:31 PM, Young wrote:
>> Doug Pollard wrote:
>>> If that is a doable thing I would think it an excellent solution if it
>>> could be incorporated in.
>>>                                                     Doug

>> I choose to use the PDF version. It seemed that the PDF search would be
>> easier than an HTML search. Is that not the case?
>>

> There was a thread about a month or two ago on this very subject
> (Rutebook) & how to view etc.
>
> What I did was create a PDF from the html files setting the url links as
> bookmarks. That way you can easily see each chapter etc., by scrolling
> through the bookmarks (26. TCP and UDP, 27. DNS and Name Resolution,
> etc).  I then just click on the pdf bookmark and it takes me directly to
> that page in the pdf.
>
> Unfortunately, the only way that I figured out how to do that was by
> using Adobe Acrobat to generate the pdf w/bookmarks. I'll not release my
> pdf as Rutebook is copyrighted:
>
> ====
> About this document ...
> This document was generated using the LaTeX2HTML translator Version
> 99.2beta8 (1.46)
> Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, Nikos Drakos, Computer Based
> Learning Unit, University of
> Leeds.
> Copyright © 1997, 1998, 1999, Ross Moore, Mathematics Department,
> Macquarie University, Sydney.
> The command line arguments were:
> latex2html -split +1 -notransparent -antialias -white -local_icons rute.
> tex
> ====
>
> I reckon that one could contact the authors and see if they could
> release the pdf w/bookmarks. Then again, why not help out the author(s)
> and just buy the book:
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0130333514/ref=sr_1_olp_1/103-7413444-2691062?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219960912&sr=1-1>
>
> Note that Rutebook is a little dated (still very useful however).

Of course it's copyrighted.. everything is automatically copyrighted,
including my words here, the moment I send it.

What's important is the terms granted by the author, the relevant ones
here (though you should read the entire copyright file, located in your
/usr/share/doc/rutebook folder)

2. The work may not be modified except by a generic format translation
utility, as may be appropriate for viewing the work using an alternative
electronic media. Such a modified version of the work must clearly
credit the author, display this license, and include all copyright
notices. Such a modified version of the work must clearly state the
means by which it was translated, as well as where an original copy may
be obtained.

3. Verbatim copies of the work may be redistributed through any
electronic media. Modified versions of the work as per 2. above may be
redistributed same, provided that they can reasonably be said to
include, albeit in translated form, all the original source files.