The rename command…

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Aug 27 22:42:34 UTC 2008

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> [...]
> operating system CP/M, I was actually learning the operating system Primos
> on a Prime 750, I think, at the university in the second half of the
> eighties. The terminals were PT200. After they threw that out (except the
> terminals), they got a Unix machine, and that is what I consider my first
> real computer experience. That was a long time ago and after only a few
> years I started to use Windows, just because wherever I was there was
> Windows. After a while I got my own PC in 1999. OS? Windows 98. Some friends
> also gave me a few pirate CDs with Windows 2000 and XP, yes, even ME. I
> tried those, but after a while I thought I'd better stop doing those pirate
> things, so I went back to Windows 98, which came with my PC. When I bought
> my laptop at the end of 2006, Windows XP was preinstalled, but in summer
> 2007 I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on it, after schrinking the Windows partition
> to about 15 GB. I only wanted XP for two reasons: I paid for it and "just in
> case I will need it some time". So far I started up Windows maybe 5 times or
> so, and it annoyed me every time.
> Anyway, I used mv since about 1988 and I am not sure I ever used rename in
> DOS. Maybe a few times.
> This question was, however, more a question about regular expression and
> piping and things like that. The thing I wanted to do was to rename a lot of
> links, making the annoying "Link to " thing disappear. I searched the link
> using keywords like "rename" etc, not to look for a command with that name,
> only because I thought that word should be mentioned in a text describing
> how to batch rename files. I accidently found that rename command, which I
> had no idea about before that. I read a little about it, but it seemed like
> there was no -r or --recursive option, so I asked here for a better command
> or set of commands for piping or whatever, maybe even a script. I think I
> was quite open minded about the whole thing, even if that doesn't seem clear
> when reading my first post in this thread.
> Now I got a few replies which I am very happy with. I now have a few
> solutions for my task and I even timed them to see which one is the fastest,
> and I even gave my results here, just in case someone would be interested to
> know, even if I doubt it.
> So now I can get my job done and I learned a lot at the same time, which I
> feel is a really great bonus. If I wonder the same thing again, I can just
> search for this thread and refresh my memory.
> Thanks to all who contributed with suggestions, ideas, information and
> opinions.
> So Karl, I think that you won't see much of this subject in the nearest
> future, and I'm sorry for thinking that rename was a Linux standard command.
> Well, actually I didn't, but well... my English is not very good and so on,
> and I guess I couldn't find a better word at that time. Actually I still can
> not... especially not when I also want to keep subjects short.

    Well the title has hung on for a long time. I had no idea English is
a second language for you. You are doing very well!

    I was just trying to suggest that "mv" is the same function that
rename should do. Alas there is a rename in the perl language which IS
confusing!

    So let it die and we can get onto another Summer question.

Karl