Why x32 Ubuntu 8.04 and not x64

Jason Crain jason at bluetree.ath.cx
Wed Aug 27 21:24:13 UTC 2008

Basil V. Fitze wrote:
> I am concerned when I bought a Dell inspiron 1525 I expected 64 bit
> software, but I got 32 bit I feel cheated, will Dell be providing a
> upgrade in the future or is Dell like most other Laptop makers are
> going cheep on the software my Acer Laptop is a dual core x64 system
> yet is also being short changed, why?

If you would like the 64 bit Ubuntu, you can download it for free from
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu. The Ubuntu software is always free,
though you can pay for support if you wish.

I don't know why Dell includes the 32 bit version only, but keep in mind
that the primary reason to use 64 bit operating systems is for a lot of
RAM. If you have 3 Gig RAM or less, there is not much advantage to 64 bit.

If you really think Dell should provide 64 bit by default, it would be
better to contact Dell customer service than these mailing lists.