Rutebook

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:45:20 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Doug Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net>

>  This may not be the place to express this but  I am not sure where to
> go with this opinion.  I installed Rute book for my daughter and could
> not remember how to open. Some on the list helped me and we got it up
> and running.
>
>    I think Rutebook  could be such an important part of Ubuntu for the
> newbie that it should come installed in applications so it can be
> clicked on to open.   It makes no sense for the Ubuntu that touts the
> idea that you don't even have to use the terminal if all you are going
> to do is do the normal computer things that most do.
>    The problem is it is not long until there is a problem and help is
> needed and most likely someone on the list will tell the newby to read.
> The first thing done by online help I think should be to help them get
> rootbook open.  Kinda like giving seeds to an impoverished farmer.  No
> body is going to use Ubuntu with out needing to use the terminal.
>    This is the reason the first thing I did was to try to get Rutebook
> open on the desktop for my daughter.  I have done it on my own computer
> but needed you guys to help set it up.  Thats crazy!  A newby who thinks
> he's getting into a program where he will never have to get into a shell
> like in Windows where you push a button and it throws away the program
> and goes back to where it was before the mess up.    Thats what I
> expected in the beginning. That was what I did for a long time in
> Ubuntu.  I had windows on the drive and went back to it as soon as their
> was a problem, threw away ubuntu and reinstalled.  Works OK but it's a
> pain in the rear end.
>    I didn't begin to learn anything until I got rid of Windows.  I
> think a dual boot system is a mistake for anything over a couple of
> months  unless windows has a program you just can't do without.    How
> in the world Rutebook is in Ubuntu but you need to be at least somewhat
> experienced to find and open it.  Makes no sense to me!!
>    I am, as you can see a strong advocate of Rutebook as a way to learn
> Linux.  It is excellent. Maybe someone who has the know how could write
> a widget  to open it with in applications or something.
>                                 Doug

I agree with you. I had the same problems finding it. When I finally found
it, I added a bookmark for it in my web browser so I could easily find the
html <file://localhost/usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/rute.html> version, at
least. Of course the installation process should have added an icon
somewhere, making it easy to find it.