"Select the best server" *never* selects the best server

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 26 22:57:08 UTC 2008

On 08/26/2008 12:40 AM, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and trying to update the system.
>
> Whatever server I select by "Syetem->Administration->Software Sources"
> and then "Download from->Other" and "Select best server"; always
> points to a randomely selected server from where either nothing gets
> downloaded at all or I get a speed of 5-6 kbps.
>
> Is there a reliable server which I can choose to download from, I am in India.

When you select other, have a look at the mirror list and try one that
is local. Select one, then from a terminal try 'sudo apt-get update' and
watch the performance. As mentioned, ping isn't always the best tool to
test the performance (it's the easiest), so you might try running a
trace to see what the hops look like. From a terminal:

mtr -r -c 20 <hostIP or hostName>

That will give you a reasonable trace to the mirror and show you if
there are any problem hops with packet loss in the path.

I personally use a university near my location and always get full link
speed.