DEB program package tpb requires de-installation of ubuntu-desktop

Detlef Lechner Detlef.Lechner at gmx.net
Tue Aug 26 16:27:22 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 26.08.2008, 11:54 -0300 schrieb Derek Broughton:

>  hotkey-setup specifically conflicts with tpb - so you can
> have one or the other.

This is the first reason why I posted here.

>  From its description, I'd think hotkey-setup is
> supposed to work with IBMs, but if you think tpb is better go for it.

I do not "think" but webpages recommend to install tpb. Synaptic says:
"program to use the IBM ThinkPad(tm) special keys."  If I go for it I
would loose the rest GNOME key combinations.

> ubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage, with hotkey-setup as one of its
> dependencies.  Nobody _needs_ to have ubuntu-desktop.

Synaptic states the opposite: "This package depends on all of the
packages in the Ubuntu desktop system. It is also used to help ensure
proper upgrades, so it is recommended that it not be removed."

How do you arrive at your conclusion: "Nobody needs to have
ubuntu-desktop?

Detlef