Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Aug 26 15:32:59 UTC 2008

Knapp schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I do not know what was recommended then, but I would go for the
>>> freedos boot CD. Btw. most former Bios Boot Diskettes are based on
>>> free dos, as well.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Eberhard
>> And here is a link.
>>
>> http://www.freedos.org/
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> After looking at this link for a bit, I am still a bit confused as to
> what to do. Do I make the dos cd and then try somehow to download the
> bios or do I somehow burn the CD with the bios on it?

Ok, this link includes a wealth of information and also a multitude of
reference links on top of this.

You download the larger CD, which links you to this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdfullcd.iso

You will need this big one, because it includes a live CD, so that you
will not be forced to install dos on your shiney machine. ;-)

Then you modify this image. I.e. you add your bios file(s) and your
flasher progarm to it and finally, you create a new iso file,
including Freedos AND your own bios utilities, perhaps a modified
autoexec.bat and the like, just like you need it.

Lastly you burn this to CD, boot your computer from this CD, flash
your bios and you are (hopefully) done.

A "quick+dirty" run down of the steps needed to modify the iso is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1887172&postcount=12

Note: The link that I gave you in my previous mail also includes
reference to documentation and floppy images which are much smaller
than the 153MB free dos CD. Maybe you want to try with these.

Otoh, 150MB is not a big deal for a CD Rom and freedos runs greatly
under linux btw. So if you have a longing to revive your dos (game or
otherwise) memories, this one is absolutely great.

I sincerely hope this helps a bit
Kind regards
Eberhard