How to run the Alternate CD from USB-Stick?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Sat Aug 23 16:47:29 UTC 2008

OK,

I solved the next step:

I had copied the contents of the CDROM to the USB stick.

while the CDROM has an ISO file system, the stick has a vfat and
does not have the ability for softlinks. in the dists directory
there is usually a hardy directory and a symlink stable -> hardy,
which got lost when copying to the vfat file system.

renaming hardy to stable made it run.

(I had to boot until the error message of the missing cdrom comes
and then mount the USB stick manually onto /cdrom)

regards