Can I format a disk in an external floppy drive

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 23 15:52:27 UTC 2008

Hi all,

When I got my new computer, it did not have a built-in floppy drive so I
bought an external usb model.  Obviously floppy disks don't have much of
a future so all I wanted to do was lift any valuable data off them, burn
it to a CD and re-format the disks so that they could be given/thrown
away.  However, kfloppy does not recognise the drive so I can't do it
that way.   fdisk doesn't see it either.    Does anybody know what, if
anything I should do to re-format the disks?

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.