Problem upgrading from 6.06.2 LTS to 8.04.1 LTS

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Sat Aug 23 00:15:15 UTC 2008

Rich Carreiro <rlcarr at rlcarr.com> wrote:

>> > When I run:
>> >    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
>>
>> This tries to upgrade to the latest devel release (i.e. 8.10) which is
>> not what you want.
>
> Well, it would be nice if the offical docs didn't say
> to put the "-d" in to do the upgrade to 8.04.1, then.  :)

That's a bug. Mario Vukelic seem to take care about it.

>> > But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
>> > message".  I don't believe I have anything weird installed
>> > (how can I tell?).  What is the process for debugging this
>> > to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
>> > performing the upgrade?
>>
>> Check that /etc/apt/sources.list has still the 6.06 repositories (and
>> nothing else), run "apt-get update" and try again.
>
> sources.list is fine.  The problem is that I need to do
> "do-release-upgrade -m desktop" (in my case), not just
> "do-release-upgrade".

That should not cause any problem. It just changes the way the upgrade
works. Among others -m desktop makes sure that ubuntu-desktop is
installed.

> (The machine in question is a remote,
> headless machine that originally started at 5.04 years ago,
> back before there was a server distribution and so is still
> currently a "desktop" machine even though it's full of
> server packages.)

If you don't need the desktop packages just deinstall ubuntu-desktop
and all the packages you don't need anymore.

> However, I'm not going to upgrade yet, since there's a kernel
> bug in the Gutsy 2.6.22-15 kernel and (applicable to me) also
> in the Dapper 2.6.15-52 kernel that will case localedef to go
> into an unkillable hang during the upgrade, leaving you in
> a very bad state.  (All the press (such as it is) is about about
> the Gutsy kernel bug, but launchpad shows the same fix has been
> committed to the Dapper kernel.
>
> I'm waiting until the fix is incorporated and updates issued
> and then atempt the upgrade.

If the machine is a important one you may want to clone it and try
the upgrade on a spare box first.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>