USB Key File System

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 12:58:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Neil wrote:

>    Big Snip.
>

>    Thought I would say I bought a 4 GB USB Stick and my desires were to
> get rid of the Windows file system and put on a ext3 file system. I have
> many Linux and no Windows systems.
>
>    What I did was with fdisk I made a single linux partition on the
> devise and then un-mounted the file system and put the ext3 file system
> on. This worked fine and now I have the entire Ubuntu 8.01 on the file
> system.
>
>    All this works fine.
>
> Karl

Yes, but the question here was how to format a USB key to FAT, so
windoze is able to read &write. With Ext3 this is only possible with
special extensions under windoze.
To be able to use the key under both OS-ses w/o restrictions I'd advise fat.

Neil

btw: with a clean and new USB key on sdb the command to create an ext3
file system with the name DangerBird would be:

mk2fs -L DangerBird -O has_journal /dev/sdb1

make an ext2 filesystem, call it DangerBird, add a journal to it (the
only and big difference between ext2 and ext3), and put it on
/dev/sdb1
--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.