[lde4.1}Desk top missing

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 19:34:57 UTC 2008

--- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com>

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/05/no-more-desktop-icons-in-41.html

> > I haven't read your url yet but will.  We, or I,
> did try out the Plasma folder and decided it wasn't
> what I wanted and wasn't  what I had on my desktop
> before the power failure. I just wanted what I had
> on my desktop before the power failure which didn't
> cause any file system problem according to e2fsck
> -cckc and -p but apparently brought the bug to life,
> or whatever.  I guess I can live with it and
> eventually the developers will fix it, maybe.
> > An even more exasperating issue with kde4.1 is I
> now can't add the "show desktop" icon with the add
> widgets task bar. It's in the add widgets menu but
> can't add it, it's also invisible, and I had it
> installed once before thanks to NoOp. If I right
> click on a blank space on the panel a pop up appears
> with an entry saying remove the unknown applet and
> selecting that removes the empty space between the
> icons.  I'll just have to be patient but it's not
> in my nature.  Hey Mario, thanks for the link! It'll
> give me something to do after I read the list  mail.
> -:)
>
> A) Thanks Mario! I don't have KDE either, so I was
> poking around
> searching for a filesystem problem...I didn't
> realize that KDE had
> changed the way they hide files on the desktop.
> Seems like there
> shouldn't be a "Desktop" folder to save things if
> they're going to hide
> them as a preference setting. (personal off-the-cuff
> statement).
>
> B) Leonard - It's possible the crash did something
> that caused KDE to
> reset your preferences, so before it kept or had
> your show-icons
> preference and after the crash it was reset. I don't
> know how they
> programmed the interface to recover from hard
> crashes, but a preference
> file for storing your interface settings has a high
> chance that it was
> being poked into or opened when the interface when
> plonky.
>
> I still have things that will seem to reset without
> reason. Right now my
> FireFox browser opens to fill the entire desktop,
> including covering my
> menu bars, and I hit F11 to "kiosk" the browser then
> F11 again to
> "unkiosk" it and I get my bars back into view.
> OpenOffice also had some
> preference goofies on and off.
>
> Check out Mario's suggestion and I hope it works for
> you!
>
> -Bart

Hey Guys,
Want to thank you for all your wonderful help.
However, I think it's time to give up seeking my
desired solution. I have searched the entire OS for
kde4, conf, preference, etc and haven't found anything
that would revert to or even mentions something to the
effect of the original Desktop Icon. It's just not
worth the time for you or me.  Something will probably
come up in the future on this that may get me
something close to what I want, or maybe not.  Will
see what the Devs come up with.  I've added the
Desktop folder view to my empty desktop and that gives
me access to the files and folders I had before which
will have to do for now; but don't like it.
I want to thank each of you for your time and effort
and I will try out anything that comes up on this
issue but will not actively pursue a solution now.
Thanks very much for your input,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net