Problem upgrading from 6.06.2 LTS to 8.04.1 LTS

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Aug 21 14:10:31 UTC 2008

Rich Carreiro <rlcarr at rlcarr.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade from 6.06.2LTS to 8.04.1LTS.  It's
> a remote system, so I don't want to use update-manager.
> I have dapper-updates activated and have installed
> update-manager-core and have everything up to date.
>
> When I run:
>    sudo do-release-upgrade -d

This tries to upgrade to the latest devel release (i.e. 8.10) which is
not what you want.

> I get the errors about hash sum mismatches.

What's the exact error message?

> Googling on that I see I can just leave off the "-d".

You *have to* leave it off if you want 8.04

> But when I do that, I get the "Unable to calculate upgrade
> message".  I don't believe I have anything weird installed
> (how can I tell?).  What is the process for debugging this
> to see what is preventing do-release-upgrade from
> performing the upgrade?

Check that /etc/apt/sources.list has still the 6.06 repositories (and
nothing else), run "apt-get update" and try again. Id it still fails
please post the whole exact output.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>