Problem upgrading from 6.06.2 LTS to 8.04.1 LTS

Rich Carreiro rlcarr at rlcarr.com
Thu Aug 21 10:41:49 UTC 2008

lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net (Leonard Chatagnier) writes:

> If I remember correctly, 6.06.2LTS is Dapper. Have you
> changed your sources.list entries from dapper to the
> next higher version.  Sorry, I don't remember if it
> gutsy or if there's another in between.  If you go the
> upgrade route you have to upgrade in sequence and
> after fully upgrading each version which is a real
> pain.

(1) Going from 6.02.2LTS (Dapper) to 8.04.1LTS (Hardy)
    is explicitly supported.  Going from LTS to LTS
    is an exception to the "must upgrade through each
    intervening version" rule.
(2) One of the points of "do-upgrade-release" is that you
    don't have to mess with sources.list -- the tool
    does it for you (like when you use update-manager to
    do a distribution upgrade).

Rich Carreiro                            rlcarr at rlcarr.com