Ubuntu 8.04

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Aug 19 20:52:23 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Rob wrote:
>>

> Sure he will.  Two short lines to come, after I finish explaining why you
> don't have a clue what you're talking about.
>
> Modern systems not only can recognize a USB drive in grub - they can
> recognize it in the BIOS.
    My BIOS is broken. When I set it to USB-CDROM it will boot on the
USB but not the CDROM :-(

>   Try sticking any old USB stick in the system,
> setting the USB boot priority ahead of the hard drive in the BIOS, and
> boot.  The machine will hang because it can't find a boot block on the
> USB - because it is already reading it!  As long as the USB drive has a
> boot sector, grub can read it.  Whether grub can then _boot_ from it
> depends on "usbstorage" and probably some other modules being available in
> the initrd.  afaik, that's actually default these days - at least when I
> did the impossible and created an external USB boot drive, I didn't have to
> fiddle with the initrd.
>
> Now, to fix your USB boot problem.
>
> 1) Boot a live CD

    I did that and it worked fine
> 2) Open a terminal session

    Did that.
> 3) Plug in the USB drive

Did that. The USB Hard Drive was mounted at /media/disk/.
> 4) If the USB drive doesn't mount automatically:
>     sudo mount /dev/xxxx  /mnt
>    where 'xxxx' is the device name assigned to your drive's linux partition
> 5) sudo grub-install --root-directory=MOUNTPOINT DEVICE
>    where MOUNTPOINT is /mnt or /media/... (wherever it got automounted) and
>    DEVICE is the /dev name of the device, not the partition (eg, /dev/sdb
>    where the linux partition is /dev/sdb1)

    Alas this step fails. It errors out looking for a source directory.
I tried to give it one but never succeeded.
> 6) reboot with your USB drive

No need to do 6) since 5) failed.

Does anyone have an idea what should be used in 5)?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User