Upgrade problems 7.10 > 8.04 LTS

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 19 18:18:38 UTC 2008

On 08/19/2008 08:32 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> I can ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 with or without the change you
> suggested. Also, that change seems to have no effect on my network
> problem. When I boot into to a command prompt, networking works
> correctly. When I boot to KDE I have no networking. My interfaces have
> been assigned dhcp addresses, but I cannot ping anything outside my PC
> and I have no internet. If I stop networking and then restart networking
> everything is OK.
>
> Thanks again,
> Rick

Ah... sorry, I took "I can't ping any local network addresses." to mean
that you couldn't ping localhost.

<quote>
First, when I boot to Kde desktop I have no network connection. My wired
and wireless interfaces are up and have dhcp assigned addresses and all
network settings look correct, but I can't access any internet sites and
I can't ping any local network addresses. If I boot to recovery mode and
then start KDM, everything works just fine. If I boot to Kdesktop, start
a terminal session and then stop and restart /etc/init.d/networking
everything is OK.
</quote>

I only have kde4.1 installed for testing purposes, but what this sounds
like is exactly what happens when I have network roaming selected on my
laptop with no wireless connection. I put it in that mode to test the
vpn settings.

With "Enable roaming mode" selected, after I boot up I have to
right-click the nm icon and tell it to connect using a wired connection.
Once I do that it goes out and gets a dhcp address from my router.
Note: I have the system configured for a wireless PCMCIA but the card is
not in the machine so it doesn't automatically find a wireless network
on boot. I've got another test machine with just kde on it, I'll fire
that up later today and check with a wireless device on it.