where is alsaconf?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Aug 17 20:34:00 UTC 2008

On Sunday 17 August 2008 21:01, oxy wrote:
> > I think what you are looking for is alsamixer - no need to do root, just:
>
> no, i search for alsaconf. I want to configure alsa for my sound card.

Sadly alsaconf has been deprecated, and sent to the great bit bucket in the
sky. If I understand it correctly the kernel is now supposed to detect sound
cards, and set up alsa correctly.

This is not always the case, so some manual intervention may be needed to get
your sounds to work.

What problem are you having with your sounds? I may, or may not be able to
help.

The ouput of the following commands may be a start.

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
lsmod | grep snd
lspci   (just the bits for the sound card/s

All the best.

Nigel.