nvidia restricted starts in save mode only

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 17 01:23:41 UTC 2008

On 08/16/2008 03:53 PM, Michael Vogt wrote:
> Hi Noop.
>
>> Perhaps?
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/187240>
>>
> As I read the bug report, I remembered that I have seen a log entry
> during installation of Envy NG, that it could not install something,
> because it found more than one NVIDIA module. I did not understood
> what it would tell me at that time.
>
> When I type esc to get to the GRUB menu at startup, I can choose
> between 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-19. So, what is the correct way to delete
> the older versions?
>

> Thanks,
> Michael

I would recommend using Synaptic; search 'linux-' and then click the "S"
column header and that will sort by all installed. The look for linux-
files that are not 2.6.24-19. Then select those that are old and select
them for removal.

Note: I tend to like to keep 1-2 rev's back in case I need to fallback.
The current gutsy to hardy upgrade is a good example; the upgrade fails
with the 2.6.22-15 kernel, but works with the 2.6.22-14. The 2.6.22-15
is the current, but having the 2.6.22-14 installed gives me a fallback
(see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/249340
for all of the gory details).
Best practice is to _at least_ keep the kernel rev that you know was
working last - it doesn't hurt in most cases, and generally only takes
up a little disk space.

When you remove via Synaptic your grub should be updated in the process.
If it does not, then you can do this via the terminal:

sudo update-grub