how big does /tmp need to be?

Kennneth P. Turvey kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com
Sun Aug 17 00:59:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:55:49 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Bob Smith wrote:
> By definition.  /usr/tmp is supposed to have files that can persist, but
> Ubuntu has, at times - I'm not sure it's still doing it - set the system
> up in such a way that /tmp, /var/lock and /var/run (and maybe /var/tmp)
> actually get cleaned out on every boot.  This has led to some badly
> behaved packages not working properly because they _expected_ to find an
> old file in /tmp.

My understanding has always been that /tmp was for temporary files.  The
kind that don't persist between reboots.  If you have an application that
expects files in /tmp to persist over reboots, I would suggest that the
application has a bug either in configuration or implementation.  The
appropriate place for files that are intended to survive reboots is
/var.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

  I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
  liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
        -- Thomas Jefferson