different users

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 15 23:42:40 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 08/15/2008 07:41 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>>             Doug
>>

> Perhaps you can just add studio to the first drive? You can do this from
> Synaptic:
> System|Administration|Synaptic|Edit|Mark Packages by Task|
> 1) 2D/3D creation and editing suite
> 2) Audio creation and editing suite
> 3) Ubuntu Studio Desktop
> 4) Video creation and editing suite
> (check the boxs and click OK)
> and then 'Apply'. That should pull in and install all of the packages
> that you'd find on the Ubuntu Studio DVD. Warning, you are probably in
> for a lot of download time, so schedule accordingly.
>
> Notes:
> 1. I've not tried these packages myself so you might google a bit first.
> 2. You can leave off #3 if you don't care about having the Studio Desktop.
> 3. Heads up: there is a bug filed against #4:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tasksel/+bug/219653
> [ "Video creation and editing suite" install fails with "aptitude failed
> (100)"]
> So I don't know if you will encounter the same problem.
>
> Also see:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio
>   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/Installation
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UpgradingFromHardy
> which suggests (from a terminal):
>
> sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-desktop
> ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics
> ubuntustudio-video linux-rt
>
> Note: above is all one line.
> And given bug 219653 (which involves taskel - used by Synapic) the
> terminal method may be the way to go. Same download sheduling applies.
>
> That way you can use sdb1 as if it's a fresh Studio install and still
> access the files on sdb2 from sdb1. Once comfortable with that, pull the
> necessary files you need off of sdb2 and reformate sdb2 as an ext3 data
> drive for storage of your video files and/or as a backup.

No Op,
    At the moment until I get this first video finished I am  a little
afraid to make this change but will a little later.   Cinelerra did not
run well in Ubuntu 7.10  studio.  Lots of crashes and errors I read a
lot about it on the Cinelerra list and many had a bad time of it.  I
don't know if  it's been straightened out or not??   I have a couple
external drives for back up so I saved the sound to it and load to disk
#1 to put to video there for the time being.  I need to go back to the
Cinelerra site and see what they are saying about running in studio.  I
would like to get it all on one drive working together if possible.  I
will a little later be doing a video of the inland waterway trip from
Virgina through Florida  the northern and southern Bahamas and Florida
keys.   It will be pretty near two hours in length so I will need drive
#2 to work on as well as #1. It will take all of my two external drives
for back up. Before I start this I have to get my act together on using
the command line.    It's coming!
    Been reading a little on the Kino page.   Kino does not enable
raw1394   because it is a security problem because any thing hooked to
the fire wire cable has access to the entire computer.   So kino should
be run by  root.  the the file ownership needs to be changed to user
and put in user  home file.  This is because Cinelerra
has to use it in its home file back and forth from there to cinelera and
saved to the user file.
I am afraid of doing all that editing as root.  They say there in Kino
do not give permission to user to use raw1394 because in effect user
becomes root as far as what he can do.  That sounds very dangerous to
me.  Hope all this makes sense.
                                                    Thanks Doug