UUIDs on drives

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 15 22:03:19 UTC 2008

ghe wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>

>> The boot drive is always Drive 0, whichever drive on your Mobo you
>> decide to boot from.  I strongly suggest you always make the drive where
>> your /boot/grub is located the boot drive.  Anything else will now
>> likely lead to tears.
>>

> (This is long, but hopefully the end.)
>
> Look. I think we're all saying pretty much the same thing, but, as
> someone has said, we're looking at the situation from different points
> of view and different layers of software/firmware.
> UUIDs are yet another layer of software designed to maintain
> consistency, but they refer only to filesystems, not hardware devices.

       Snip

    Actually the UUID defines a partition or swap partition.
> So some things are still at the mercy of the (sometimes not very
> merciful and often easily bewildered) ROM code.
>
> The idea of running all block I/O through one piece of code is a great
> idea, but the operations have to be split out for the protocols of the
> different controllers, so there's not much to gain, I claim, by labeling
> all block devices with the same code.
> 	Snip

    Just so you know, it is easy to to get the UUID for a partition. It
looks like:

sudo vol_id /dev/hda2 and it will print out this:

karl at karl-desktop:~$ sudo vol_id /dev/hda2
[sudo] password for karl:
ID_FS_USAGE=other
ID_FS_TYPE=swap
ID_FS_VERSION=2
ID_FS_UUID=4d7c4159-d00c-4069-bfb6-f9a6e153c723
ID_FS_UUID_ENC=4d7c4159-d00c-4069-bfb6-f9a6e153c723
ID_FS_LABEL=
ID_FS_LABEL_ENC=
ID_FS_LABEL_SAFE=
karl at karl-desktop:~$

    For some reason it prints out the word twice.

But this you can do for any defined partition and it works.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User