different users

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 17:51:47 UTC 2008

2008/8/15 Doug Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net>:
>    At the present time I have two hard drives one with ubuntu (sb1) on
> it and the other with ubuntu studio  (sb2) .  I have Cinelerra on ubuntu
> first drive but not on  Ubuntu studio as there seems to be some problems
> that as yet i am not competant to overcome.
>    What I'm wondering is it doable  to set up  studio for one user and
> regular ubunto 8.04 for the other and then inter react one with the
> other to do video and sound to build movie's or video.
>    I will likely not change my set up right now if it is a doable thing
> as right at the moment trying to do a video and learn Linux command line
> are about all I can stand.
>    Another questio is are their some good cheat sheets for comands that
> might be opend from the desk top?   What I have looked at are in
> alphabetical order which seems to me kind of useless if you don't know
> what command you are looking for.
>
> Thanks anyone,
>
>            Doug

If you have /home as a separate partition then you can mount it in
both systems, and you _can_ use the same user account (with the same
user name) easily with both systems.

That said, I advise against it. Programs store their config info in
/home/user/.dotfiles and often different versions of a program use
conflicting config file formats. Digikam 0.10 is a good, recent
example of this, as is Firefox 3.

What I recommend is to have /home on a separate partition, with two
users, one for each system. You can then give each user access to the
other's files. This setup has many other advantages as well, such as
testing new Ubuntu versions and different distros without loosing your
current setup (easy migration).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com