restore grub

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 15 16:16:55 UTC 2008

On 08/14/2008 05:09 PM, Linda Vest Castanos wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>
> the link above shows how to restore grub after an XP install.  Will the
> following commands work for error 17? If not, can I restore XP MBR
> (which I have done many times) and will it work then?
>
> I'm not a Ubuntu-Linux guru and the commands below would work for ME,
> which is from the link above.  I seem to lose my MBR approx twice a
> year.  (big hassle)
> thanks, Dennis

If you are having to restore grub twice a year, I would recommend that
you download the SuperGrub CD:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Then all you need to do is boot using the CD and select the 'restore'
option. SG will automatically go out and restore your grub. From the CD
you can also fix your MBR if necessary.

Also see:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/SuperGrubDisk