UUIDs on drives

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Aug 15 15:07:14 UTC 2008

ghe wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> "Used to" being the instrumental expression.
>
> Yup. Worked at point A, didn't at point B. A popular description for
> that condition is "broken".
>
>> Yes, that was back then. As I understand it, now that we have SATA and
>> whatnot, this is simply not guaranteed by the hardware anymore.
>
> Nope. The hardware has *got* to be consistent in its self description.
> Otherwise the OS's be writing to disk locations at random.

This is it, the money shot right here, and were you are making a big
false assumption.

Hardware self description is consistent only as Device UUID/serial
number. hard drives can be re-rordered any which way in the BIOS between
boots, and if you are still using a legacy OS, drive D will become E and
vice versa.. very bad.