Encrypted LVM backup

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:33:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM, Checkman <CheckBox at mail.ru> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I might use any drive imaging software to make an image of the whole
> physical encrypted partition (/dev/sda2), but I don't like this idea
> cause it's a space consuming solution (encrypted data are not
> compressible and software is not aware of the file system used
> (occupied blocks)).
>
> There're a lot of possible backup solutions (file/sector level):
>  dd, dump/restore, rsync, partimage, g4u, ... mondo...
> But I'm not very excited about checking them all one after another.
>
> So if anybody has any experience with that let me know please.
> Anyway if any ideas cross your mind let me know them as well.

The one I've got written down to look at some day is
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/  but I don't think it does whole system
images like you seem to be wanting.  I haven't run it myself so this
is only a suggestion.

mondo does file level backups not sector level - so the backups aren't
encrypted unless you do something special afterwards.
If you want encrypted backups, have you considered mounting an
encrypted volume - doing a regular backup to it then unmounting it?
As far as the backup program is concerned it's not an encrypted backup
at all.

Brian