Activation of a wireless Network

Arthur H. Johnson II arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 13:07:48 UTC 2008

Robert,

I hear that the latest madwifi works, but I've never tried it.  I have
Xubuntu 8.04.1 on an Acer 5315 and I had to use ndiswrapper to get the
wireless to work.  Here are the steps I took, in general, to get
wireless up:

1. First, blacklist ath_pci:
# sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
( Add 'blacklist ath_pci' to the end of the file )

2. Install ndiswrapper-utils.  The package for me was
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, but I'm on Hardy.  It is probably different on gutsy.

3. Download the XP drivers for the Atheros wireless card.   The version
that worked for me was 5.3.0.67.  I had to hunt a little for these.  DO
NOT get the vista drivers, they do not work.  Truth be told, I
downloaded these back when it was running Gutsy, and don't remember
where I got them from.  I burned the drivers to a CD-R and have used the
same one since.

4. Uncompress the drivers in a safe location.  I put mine in /drv.  Find
the XP-x32 directory under Drivers.  That is the 32 bit driver, which is
the one I used.  Run:
# ndiswrapper -i net5211.inf
You will get a few errors about bits and whatnot.  Ignore them.

5. Edit /etc/modules and add 'ndiswrapper' to the bottom of the file.

6. Reboot

7. Profit!