need help with jackd

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Fri Aug 15 11:14:12 UTC 2008

On Friday 15 August 2008 10:18, Mikael Backman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to play a musicmp3-file with mplayer -ao jack .. The sound is
> scratshy.  To start  jackd  I run  'jackd -d  alsa -s  -n=24'
> Of course I have no idea how to start jackd properly  :)
> Help would be appreciated
>
> /Mikael

Hi Mikael. First I'd install Qjackctl, which is a GUI where you can get to the
settings for jack, and also has a midi connections section.

If your soundcard is an hda intel based one, I've seen that changing the
Periods/Buffer in Qjackctl's setup, from 2 to 3, can fix stuttery sound, and
only last night verified that while playing something on ZynAddSubFX synth,
where the sound was all stuttery before changing the Period/Buffer to 3.

I don't use Mplayer to play mp3's, but the above is worth a try

Nigel.