configure can't find gconf2

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Thu Aug 14 18:12:08 UTC 2008

Greetings,
I am trying to install Gnucash 2.2.6  and get a configure check error.

Package gconf-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps
you should add the directory containing `gconf-2.0.pc' to the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'gconf-2.0' found
configure: error: Library requirements (gconf-2.0 >= "2.0") not met;
consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
There is no gconf-2.0.pc in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. In fact I could not find
it anywhere on my system. Also, /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig is empty.  If I
need to set a symbolic link to some .pc in pkgconfig, I don't know which
one.  Can I make my own gconf-2.0.pc file? Any ideas?

Mike