how big does /tmp need to be?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Aug 14 14:08:17 UTC 2008

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Bob Smith wrote:
>>
>>> How big does a separate /tmp partition need to be? (for a typical
>>> desktop/workstation)
>> Anything under 1GB seems small, to me.  otoh, I rarely actually use much of
>> it.  There's always something though that overuses /tmp
>
> +1

The only reason I can think of to use a separate partition for anything,
be it /var or /home, is to preserve that data when something else is
being destroyed/overwritten.  There are few (if any) sensible reasons to
worry about preserving /tmp, so I would put it in any other partition
where you have the most space to spare.  ex, if you're trying to keep /
small, create a tmp in your home partition and symlink to it from /tmp

No matter what you do, if you try to put tmp in it's own partition, it's
a loosing proposition.  You either waste disk space by making it large
enough, or you run out of space when something tries to create a dvd iso
image there.