SSHD_config question

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:57:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> On 2008-08-14, Knapp wrote:
> I hope, pray, that my system has strong security at this point with ssh
> locked down hard and Firestarter locking out most other things. Have I
> missed anything?

If you use ssh, I'd use rsa keys and not use passwords at all.
Problem solved, as long as you keep the key handy and don't let it
loose.

That being said, if you use real passwords (i.e. longer than 8,
include at least more than one case, some numbers and punctuation -
definitely not something you can find in a newspaper) you are fine.

If you look at the attempts those ssh bots are trying the passwords
are laughably bad.  If you have a laughably bad password then you have
issues :-)

Brian