MS Reader on 8.04

Jeffrey D. Greenly kd6hul at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 13:35:11 UTC 2008

I realize that my question will probably invoke some "why are you doing
that?!?" responses, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

On my computers that run Ubuntu 7.10, I have successfully installed MS
reader using the IEs4Linux method described on the internet, and it
works. This is handy for me, because I have a LOT of documents, books,
etc. in .lit format, a holdover from my MS days. However, I haven't been
able to get MS Reader to work under 8.04. The application starts, but
then quietly crashes.

I have updated wine, tried reinstalling IEs4Linux and ms reader, and
haven't met with success. If anyone has a solution to this, or can point
me towards a reader that is compatible, i would appreciate it. I would
find it difficult to justify spending the time converting (via CLIT)
several thousand documents. As much as I'd like to be free of Redmond,
that's out, at least for now..

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Greenly
KD6HUL