UUIDs on drives (was Hibernate on batery low)

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Aug 14 04:18:44 UTC 2008

Brian Astill wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008 09:47:49 Rashkae wrote:
>> I've never seen any problems
>> reported with the use of UUID that doesn't amount to old school
>> gurus not wanting to learn something different.
>
> That's incorrect - unless you haven't been looking!
> If there is a key to unravel the info implicit in /dev/hdb3
> (Primary partition on the Slave drive) from its UUID, would
> someone please publish it.

huh?

> Also, would someone please tell me how to construct a UUID for a
> partition I have just created - short of rebooting and seeing if
> I can identify it from fstab, assuming the partition is mounted.

create a file system,, they all get a fresh new UUID.  you can
change/create a new UUID with the filesystem utilities if you want.
(like tune2fs, I believe, for ext3)

> Why is a simple 8-digit code sufficient to uniquely identify a
> vfat partition, eg "UUID=3FF4-3BE7  /media/hda1     vfat"
> whereas a Linux partition needs something HUGE
> UUID=d757b47c-5808-4271-a247-9df9072826de /media/hdb1     ext2

More bits = less chance accidentally duplicating a UUID from random
creation.

> I could go on, but please notice that change does not always
> involve progress.

Plonk?  Not yet, as I understand your frustration.  Though I greatly
disagree with your opinion, in this instance.. I deal with system that
have several hard drives on multiple controllers.. I assure you, this
change is not only progress,, it's outright necessity.