Help me. How to restore my ubuntu 6.06 because of faling to upgrade to 8.04

zhihang wang zhihang.wang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 05:51:50 UTC 2008

when I type your comand, it successfully download the need package.
But an error occure. the erro message is:

Preconfiguring packages....
(Reading database... kpkg:error processing lib64ncurses5-dev (--remove):
files list file for package 'xfonts-scalable' contains empty filename
Errors were encooutered while processing:
lib64ncurses5-dev
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Mumia W. <
paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net<paduille.4062.mumia.w%2Bnospam at earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> On 08/12/2008 09:34 PM, zhihang wang wrote:
> > When I upgrade my 6.06 to 8.04 directly by update from the internet, an
> > error occure. The error message is:
> > Unpacking xfonts-scalable (from .../xfonts-scalable_1%3a1.0.0-6_all.deb)
> >
> > Setting up xfonts-scalable (1:1.0.0-6) ...
> > usage error: unrecognized option
> > Usage: update-fonts-dir DIRECTORY ...
> > [...]
> > Now I can't enter gnome. How to restore my 6.06 or continue to upgrade?
> >

> I can't answer your question, but I can suggest that you install another
> window manager until you get Gnome sorted out:
>
> sudo apt-get install blackbox bbkeys
>
> When you see the GDM login screen, select "Sessions" and choose Blackbox
> when you wish to use the Blackbox window manager. Read the manual pages
> for blackbox and bbkeys if you're not already familiar with them:
>
> man blackbox
> man bbkeys

Best Regards
zhihang wang