Kubuntu wireless setup issues

Santiago Hernández Lemes santi84 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:06:11 UTC 2008

Ok! Complicated, yesterday I spended 4 hours to get this working....

First of all, I installed my atheros with madwifi driver.
Then, I add the ath_pci module to auto loading list in modules
Then I uninstaled wicd (my preferred net aplication in Ubuntu 8.04) and
instaled knetworkmanager
In your case, to auto connect, if your card is working properly, you must
install Wicd, it allow you to select a lot of profiles and it have auto
connect option!

Bye

2008/8/12 Robert Ramey <ramey at rrsd.com>

>  I have managed to get my Kubuntu system to access the internet
> through my home router.  It would not do so out of the box.  No
> amount of fiddling with the GUI Network configuration utility would
> make this work.
>
> In order to accomplish this, I had to:
>
> a) Go in to the command line console
> a) disable WEP on my home router
> b) iwlist scan # to display my router
> c) sudo ipconfig ath0 essid "HOME NETWORK"
> d) sudo dhclient
> e) ping ... # ok
>
> Now I want to:
>
> a) make this work without disabling my router WEP security
> b) make this automatic at startup.
>
> What do I have to do to accomplish this?
>
> Robert Ramey

Santiago Hernández
http://www.tulugar.com.uy
http://www.twitter.com/santius