editors in rescue mode

Steve C. Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Tue Aug 12 00:15:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 05:01:17PM -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> Extension has a much more general meaning than the above.

    Yes, and this is a technical list where sometimes a choice of words can
lead to problems.  What matters is the most common use of the word *here*.
And *here* extensions are often as I cited.

> You also left out my quote from the vim home page:

    Of course I did (and will again) since neither time did it help you any.

> Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

    Nor does this.

> Vim is a text editor first released by Bram Moolenaar in 1991 for the
> Amiga computer.

    Amiga.  Unix.  Amiga.  Unix.  Amiga.  Unix.  Do you see how those might
just point out that your choice of words was very poor?

> Perhaps I should have used "improvement" instead of "extension".  From a
> user perspective, (not a coding perspective) I think either term fits.

    As a user of many pieces of software with "extensions", no, I don't see
how the latter fits.

> BTW, I have been using VIM for at least 8-9 years and vi for too many
> years prior to that.

    Bully for you.  I've been using vim for just as many years and can trace
my editor pedigree through three other editors back another 10 years beyond
that.  Doesn't mean you're any more correct than I (or vice versa) about the
usage of the word.  Just means you like to measure unreleated things.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       | main connection to the switchboard of souls.