editors in rescue mode

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Mon Aug 11 22:48:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 18:26 -0400, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 03:16:37PM -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> > vim is just an extension of vi.  On Ubuntu they are in fact the same
> > binaries.  vi comands are a subset of vim commands.
>
>     Uhm, no.  vim is not vi.  Vim is not "an extension" of vi.  vim is an
> editor modeled after vi but is not the same code base.  It has a bug-for-bug
> compatiblity mode with vi and this is what is loaded in Ubuntu instead of vi.
> However, calling vim the same as vi would be like callimg GNU EMACS and XEMACS
> the same.  ;)

You did not read what I wrote - I said vi is a subset of vim.  I did not
say that vim is vi.  There is quite a difference.  Here is what the
developers of vim say on their website:

"What Is Vim?
Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text
editing. It is an improved version of the vi editor distributed with
most UNIX systems."

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect