How to install emacs on Kubuntu

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Aug 11 21:54:13 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> <raphsabb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sshd is included but not necessarily installed by default run
>>> the add/remove GUI app and search for openssh otherwise just
>>> use apt-get install openssh
>>
>> # apt-get install openssh
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependancy tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> E: Couldn't find package openssh
>>
>> This is the original problem that started the thread: there
>> are no packages available to install.
>
> The reason you get the error message is because that's
> not the correct file name.

At that point, I hadn't figured out that apt* didn't know about
the proxy configuration, so clicking the "download updates"
button wasn't doing anything: were no packages available. Using
the right name wouldn't have helped (yet).

Once I figured out that setting the http proxy via the network
manager isn't sufficient to get the apt tools working, I had no
problems getting the package lists updated and various packages
installed.

That raises the question how does a "normal" user who sticks
with the GUI get the http proxy thing figured out and working?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did I say I was
                                  at               a sardine?  Or a bus???