List entries - gmail

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:12:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Arthur H. Johnson II <
arthur.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com
> > <mailto:basroufs at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> >     > ...gmail does it. They even say that somewhere, they do this «to
> >     avoid cluttering your mailbox» (!). Your messages are in your
> >     _sent_ folder.
> >     >

> >     You are absolutely right. Of course, I use already a longer time the
> >     sent folder in both POP3 and the web interface to find and archive my
> >     own contributions to lists. But it still is a provisional, not very
> >     satisfactory solution. I simply want to get direct feed-back from
> >     a list
> >     about my contributions sent to it.
> >     > I'm using gmail myself, but I access it using the pop protocol
> >     and evolution, so I'm not exactly sure how to handle it using the
> >     web interface. However, in evolution what I did is to define a
> >     filter looking for messages sent to the list both in the incoming
> >     and outgoing folder. I imagine there is a similar workaround using
> >     the google interface.
> >     >
> >     Another interesting suggestion for a provisional solution that
> >     does not
> >     solve the core issue.
> >     The only thing I really want in this context is GMAIL to give me an
> >     option to 'clutter my e-mail box' with my own contributions. So far I
> >     did not manage to find such an option.
> >
> >     Bas.
> >

> > It doesn't appear that filtering even works! Really frustrating...
> > What's amazingly absurd is that I advertised a couple of items for
> > sale on Craigslist, and ALL of those messages are coming through just
> > fine! "clutter up my mailbox, indeed"....
> > What a crock.
> >
> > Jack
> Yeah, I tried to get server side filtering going on Gmail, and to no
> avail.  It doesn't seem to support filtering, only "labeling".  The best
> I've ever done is filter using Thunderbird, but then I have to maintain
> two configs, which is pretty frustrating.

The really stupid part is that I set up a filter with the From address as
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com, and the action to take as "Never Spam"... and
it still doesn't work. I go to Google Mail and their resolution is
"something's wrong with THEIR mail server settings. Unbelievable! If the
only mail I can't get is MY OWN, then how is it possible that the Ubu mail
server is the problem ?

Jack