change permitions in user home

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 11 16:37:10 UTC 2008

I need to change permissions on some of my user files.   I have the
command but i need to know how to apply it to an individual file.  Do I
click on the file and then put in the command.   That dosn't seem to
work.  Been reading all morning can find ways to change all the files
but not to single out an individual file.  I have files that everybody
can write to ,read and exicute and I want to change just those files so
that I as the owner of them can write to them.
            Thanks Doug