How to install emacs on Kubuntu

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Aug 11 15:36:59 UTC 2008

On 2008-08-11, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> On 2008-08-11, Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey Grant, I'm certainly not expert but it sounds to
>> me that you don't have /etc/apt/sources list set up on
>> your pc which should have been set up on the install
>> unless you missed it or clicked the wrong button
>> during install. First check the file
>> /etc/apt/sources.list and I'll bet it just has entries
>> for  the CD.
>
> Looks OK to me:
>

> ----------------------/etc/apt/sources.list----------------------
> # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080701.2)]/ hardy main restricted
> # See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
> # newer versions of the distribution.
>
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted
>
> ## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
> ## distribution.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy-updates main restricted
[...]

Dare I try an "apt-get update" from the command line?

In the past when I've done stuff like that to try to get an
Ubuntu install up and running I've always been caned for not
using GUI like you're supposed to...

I also can't seem to figure out how to enable sshd using the
"services" GUI thingy.  Is sshd not included on the CD?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! A dwarf is passing out
                                  at               somewhere in Detroit!