download ubuntu8.04 iso

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Aug 10 18:46:07 UTC 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 19:00, Doug Pollard wrote:
> William Witt wrote:

> >> Ok  put in cd /home  Ok so far,   put in  sudo chown -R  doug:doug
> >> doug1    I thought this would change doug to doug1  Got an error
> >> message  Is one of these users to be the new user?  I don't understand
> >> this. Went to man and read for an hour but did not find and answer
> >> there. Thanks Doug
> >>                                                     Doug
> >
> > Sorry, should have been more clear.
> >
> > Option 1) Use chown to change ownership of the files; Usage is:
> > chown [options] [user][group] [file to change]
> > so:
> > sudo chown -R doug:doug /home/doug
> > will reset the permissions of all of the files in your home directory so
> > that you are the owner.  This should fix your overall issue that came
> > from running programs as root in your home directory.
> >
> > Option 2) add a new user, you should use the ubuntu GUI tool under
> > system-
> >
> >> administration->users and groups to add a new user so that you can
> >> download
> >
> > the isos, etc
> >
> > Will
> >
> > OK :-)  I followed the above and got a new prompt in the terminal which I
> > guess means it was successful I guess. I set up a second user account and
> > all went well there.It starts and runs well.  I started the original
> > accountand got this message as before when ubuntu starts.:    users
> > $home/dimrc fileis being ignored. This prevents the default sessions and
> > language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644
> > permissions. Users Home directory must be owned by user and not writable
> > by other users.
>
> I guess the above is the reason I can't download anything and save it??
> I haven't tried downloading and opening to see If downloading works. I
> also can't save to favorites in Firefox. I guess the same problem.  I
> was thinking there were a lot of problems when in fact the one above
> maybe the main one and all there is??
>     This was the same message I was getting before and was hoping the
> above change would fix this.  Maybe if this were straightened out there
> would be no need to reinstall. I kind of hate to reinstall as it
> represents a failure to my way of thinking.  It would be good If this
> could be fixed.
>                                         Thanks Doug

I appreciate your situation, as re-installing is pretty much a last resort,
and shouldn't be necessary.

I recently downloaded updates for my Archlinux install, and KDE 3.5.9 was
going to be upgraded to KDE4. I suppose it was a bit foolish to let this go
ahead, as as it turned out KDE4, as far as I'm concerned has given me nothing
but problems.

For the first time since using Linux, I've deliberately installed Gnome. My
Fedora installs have Gnome as the default DE, and I always also install KDE
as well, as I prefer it, but at the moment on Archlinux, Gnome is better than
KDE4. My reason for installing Gnome, is that I hope to remove all the KDE4
packages, without losing access to a desktop environment.

I then, if I can find the packages for KDE 3.5.9, will install them, and get
back KDE 3.5.9, which was working just fine before the Archlinux upgrade to
KDE4. Then to stop Archlinux upgrading to KDE4 again, and I think there are
some workarounds here.

The last thing I want to do is reinstall Archlinux, even though it may well be
the easiest. Since the install there were no updates to KDE 3.5.9, until the
upgrade to KDE4, and the install is quite new, so there is no data which I'm
concerned about losing. All the same I'm going to have a good go at reverting
KDE4 to KDE 3.5.9 before I throw in the towel and re-install.

Nigel.