download ubuntu8.04 iso

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 10 04:16:40 UTC 2008

--- Doug Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Got a mess here, have a lot of problems and getting
> worse.  Was trying
> to use kino to capture video  and could not capture.
> Used sudo  to dv
> capture files in my user home folder.  Bad move
> that!  Am getting error
> messages and having problems with with Firefox and
> cannot down load to
> desktop or other files.  I have so many problems I
> feel it best  to
> download Ubuntu 8.04.1 iso in synaptic and
> reinstall.  Have all my data
> saved on external hard drive.    The question is how
> or can I down load
> iso file on synaptic.??

Doug, I don't think you can download the iso from
synaptic, but I could be wrong.  The usual way is to
download the live CD or alternative CD iso from:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/
Burn it to disc as an iso file then install ubuntu
with the disc.  Pick the iso according to your cpu,
ie, i386, amd64 or whatever.  Most peeople recommend
an i386, 32 bit install as the 64 bit is somewhat
buggy. I have it and can voouch for it. I'd recommend
the alternative Cd as it generally works better than
the live CD.
Also you mentioned many error messages. It would be
wise if you had posted them so someone on the list
could have suggested how you might avoid this in
ffuture. The sound of your post suggest that you may
have some erroneous ideas about how to do things.
Better to ask if not absolutely sure so that you don't
mess up the OS.

HTH

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net