HELP WINDOWS XP

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sat Aug 9 22:32:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 16:45 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:

> I don't know if this will help me,  let alone anyone else, but I have
> spent a couple hours and plan to spend more using Tom Boy notes.  I am
> making notes of comands etc with very short memory joggers written
> behind them.  I hope I can quickly refer to them when need be.  I find
> it nearly impossible to remember them especially when I need them. The
> big thing will be finding what I need among them. If you can't remember
> the comand aphabetical order is not much help.  I'm thinking basic stuff
> to start with to keep the list short, if it'd too long it's worthless.
> Makeing the notes is helping me to remember. Maybe I would do well to
> delete them several times and rewrite,my memory is pathetic :-)

Good idea.  When I am looking for a command I cannot remember I do
keyword searches of the manual pages with "apropos".

I also use the command completion in the shell to jog my memory. Try
typing an "a" followed by a tab character with no carriage return in the
shell sometime.  The Help system also has some basic stuff in it as well
about using the command line.  System->Help and Support.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect
smoot at tic.com