Assus eee

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:01:41 UTC 2008

I found that https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC is the best place
for information on th eeepc using ubunu.

I have a 2G surf that I bout for ~$300 and following these instructions
and/or running the ricey script
(http://eee.ricey.co.uk/files/eee/RiceeeyTweak.sh) will be useful in
setting up your eeepc with ubuntu.

4G is good but I recommend you get an 8GB -> 32GB SDHC Class 6 card if
you want descent storage. You can use the SD card to mount your /home
directory from. That way your programs run quickly off the SSHD and all
your personal data can fit in your pocket (only take it out once the
computer is completely turned off - just a tip).

For wireless internet, every time there is a kernel update you will have
to recompile and reinstall madwifi from source since it is not a
maintained debian package (yet). So keep a copy and a copy of the
instructions page locally.

I'm not too sure if my microphone works well and I'm sure that all the
function keys do not work well.

I will tell you that I had much less issues and better speed in Gutsy
then in Hardy, so you may want to try 7.10 as well as 8.04 and pick the
one you like better.

Good luck, it's a little tricky but worth it.

-komputes