SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 16:32:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/07/2008 08:07 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM, NoOp <sniprudeemailquoting> wrote:
>

> >  fdisk -l shows the IDE (80GB) and the first SATA (500GB) drives.
> > dmesg|grep -A 5 sata_sil shows the same, although I'm a bit confused by
> what
> > I see there - it seems to indicate that /dev/sda is within this data,
> > although I know that /dev/sda1,2,5 are the 80GB IDE drive.
> >
> > NoOp - I don't see any sort of option in this BIOS to do this - "After
> > activating AHCI in the bios"
> > But, can I change add "pci=nomsi" to the boot line after the install, and
> > would the system 'right' itself ? It seems from reading these that they
> are
> > only done on an installation (so I would essentially reinstall the OS)
> >
> > Jack
>
> No idea, I don't have SATA. I only ran across those looking up something
> else & thought that you might find it helpful to have a read through the
> bugs. It certainly couldn't hurt to try pci=nomsi at boot (just use the
> 'e' edit function in the grub menu), and if you find it works then add
> it to your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Be sure to take some time and actually
> _read_ through the bugs; you're likely to find something in them that
> might be helpful.

I read through them and there were a few 'workarounds' worth trying.
Unfortunately, no joy.
I did call the vendor for the card, who assured me that the card does work,
as he is running it in an Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome) system. He suggested that I
remove the second drive, and attach it to another system and make sure that
it is pre-formatted to ext2/ext3 and then putting it back in the system to
see if the OS recognizes it, because the shadow BIOS sees it at boot-up, but
the kernel doesn't acknowledge it when the OS is loaded. I'm going to try
that as well. He also suggested that the second drive might need a jumper,
but I'm not sure that these drives have a place for a jumper, so I'll go
with the pre-formatting option and see if that does it.

Jack