iding usb drive for grub reinstall

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:33:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:15 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm trying to use a live cd to reinstall grub on a usb drive on which Ubuntu
> resides to allow it to boot on eee pc. How do I find the drive assignment as
> it's recognised by the live cd so I know where to install grub?
>
> James

Hi James

The drive assignment as seen by the LiveCD isn't important. The Ubuntu
hasn't booted yet. However it is important how the USB drive is see by
Grub, This I can tell you: hd1 (hd0 is the physon ssd)
To be able to boot from it Grub must also know where the /boot (or /
if you do not have a seperate /boot) partition is. Usually this is the
first partition on the disk, so it should be 1.
Therefore the drive assignment you should use to set a grub mbr is: (hd0,1)
I trust you have enough knowledge of Grub to use this?

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.