Phil's Wifi (was HELP WINDOWS XP

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 05:46:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 15:22, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Phil Bieber wrote:
>
>> I'm using a DELL Inspiron Notebook with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
>> Card. I cannot tell you the exact chipset, but the graphics chip is
>> the Intel GMA950 with a Core2Duo @ 1,83Ghz. Its all from the Centrino
>> platform.
>>
>> I will have a look around for some newer firmware, thanks a lot for the
>> hint!
>
> Certainly the Intels do sometimes need firmware updates - I remember
> updating my 2200 (when it still worked, before it broke and Dell refused to
> honor my warranty, but I'm not bitter...).
>
> Anyway, enough of my problems :-)
>
> Check out: http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi
>
> Basically, they say you should be golden if you run the hardy kernel,
> otherwise you'll need to do some work.  So let's hope you aren't using
> Hardy.  In that case, I'd suggest the simplest thing is to upgrade to hardy
> (well worth while imo).  Next simplest, is probably to get the drivers from
> the above page.  This will eventually leave you with some orphaned software
> not under package control, but should be fairly painless.  Finally, but not
> for the faint of heart, is to briefly change your /etc/apt/sources.list to
> point to hardy, upgrade just the kernel (and any dependencies), then switch
> your apt sources back to whatever you're using.  In the worst case, with
> this method, you just find the new kernel doesn't boot, and go back to the
> old one.
> --
> derek

Hi!
Thanks for the link, I will check it out, but I have to admit, that
I'm guilty of running Hardy =/ And besides the Wifi it actually IS
worth it :)
I have the impression, that wifi is a little better with the Intrepid
Kernel, but still not really the pleasure I was used to using Gutsy...
=/

Thanks and have a nice day!

Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com