SATA Upgrade (re-post after HW problem was resolved)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 02:48:42 UTC 2008

On 08/07/2008 06:45 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok - So after all the fiasco of the crazy hardware issues with bad media
>>> vs bad iso vs bad hardware vs PEBKAC,
>>> I have Ubuntu 7.10 server (LAMP) runninig on a Dell Dimension 4500 with
>>> the following:
>>> 80GB IDE (Ubu is installed here)
>>>
>>> Silicon SATA 3512 SATA I card
>>> 500GB SATA drive (Dr. 0)
>>> 400GB SATA drive (Dr. 1)
>>>
>>> During the install, I was asked if I wanted to install Ubuntu on the 80 or
>>> the 500 GB disc (at the time, it didn't see the second drive).
>>> When the machine boots, both drives are seen during startup.
>>> After Ubuntu is up and I login, I can see /dev/sda1 is the 80GB IDE, but
>>> no others.
>>>
>>> I'd like to get these drives fdisked and set up for use, but am not sure
>>> how. I'm googling at the moment, but if anyone can throw some information or
>>> urls my way it might shorten up the search.
>>>

>> Look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DrivesAndPartitions
>>
>> cheers
>>

> The problem here is this - looking in hwinfo and lshw, I have /dev/sda (the
> IDE drive), and /dev/sdb (the 500GB SATA), but the second SATA drive (which
> I would have guessed would be /dev/sdc) is not found on the system. Can I
> create this manually ?

I wonder if this might help:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/203195
<quote>
Solution:
After activating AHCI in the bios setting and booting from CD/DVD one
need to press F6 to enter further boot parameter: pci=nomsi
Now the hdd and other sata devices are recognized correctly due the
installation. Don't know if its really a bug..
</quote>

Another:
<quote>
 btherio wrote on 2008-07-06: (permalink)
I'm having this exact problem on an asus a8v-mx.
I read here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/18/103
I changed sata to ahci in the bios, added only the line pci=nomsi to the
kernel boot line, and it seems to be working.
</quote>