QUESTION - Any tutorials or online training?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Aug 7 16:46:04 UTC 2008

"David Clark" <clarksd5 at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for training opportunities. Anyone care to share some training
> materials or resources - ISO files or websites with training. Linux/Ubuntu
> has a lot of command line similarities to DOS, and that's great. Some of the
> file structure is similar also, but I want a deeper understanding.
> Can anyone help?

A good thing to start with is "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition":
Install the package rutebook and go to /usr/share/doc/rutebook/.
Some parts (especially the ones about configuring some programs) are
a bit out of date but IMHO it's still a very good book.

If you want to know some more about shell scripting the "Advanced
Bash-Scripting Guide" is for you (package abs-guide, see
/usr/share/doc/abs-guide).

The "Debian Reference" (package debian-reference-en,
/usr/share/doc/Debian/reference) and the APT Howto (package
apt-howto-en, /usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto) are focused on Debian
(which Ubuntu is derived from) and some things are a bit different for
Ubuntu (like release names and the repositories) but most of it is
still useful.

The "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" (package debian-policy,
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/) explains the directory structure.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>