Laptop mode on Hardy

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 7 15:00:52 UTC 2008

Eddie b wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Eddie b <lazered at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> My bad!  Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.
>>

> Does anyone have any pointers to getting a lappy power management to work
> ? Oh, and a way that actually does work :) Unlike most things Google has
> shown.

Define "work".  Laptop power management covers a huge array of issues.
- Sleep/Suspend/Hibernate states - imo, those can always be made to work on
a reasonably modern laptop.
- Processor states - not all systems can do C states, though I think they
can all do T states.  Actually controlling them through any laptop power
management policy seems practically impossible though :-(
- Disk (and other peripherals) management - can be done, but the default
power-manager apps don't seem to have any support.
- Thermal - many ACPI implementations don't seem to permit you any control
of thermal policy.  The fan comes on when it comes on and goes off when it
goes off.  I'm just beginning to get a handle on this on my own system.  At
least I've now figured out how to reset this when it breaks (unplugging,
then replugging power - don't ask me _why_ it works!).
--
derek